The 2017 KIA Forte has gotten a mid-generation refresh and redesign you can check out firsthand at your local KIA dealership that included a host of new and updated safety features. When the second generation was first rolled out as a 2014 model year, the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) rated the Forte with a “Good” rating in:
- Side Impact Test
- Rear Crash Protection Test
- Roof Strength Test
- Moderate Overlap Front Test
Yet, the Small Overlap Front Test was rated “Poor.” Rather than accept this rating, the design team at KIA went about making improvements to correct this low crash test score. The 2015 Forte was improved and resulted in a “Moderate” Small Overlap Front Test rating.
KIA was still not fully satisfied with this rating, made efforts and improvements for the 2016 model year, but still received a “Moderate” rating for this particular crash test. For both 2015 and 2016 model years, it is worth noting the Forte was rated as “Good” in the other crash test categories.
The reason KIA was having difficulties scoring higher for this particular crash is due to the type of test, with which all auto manufacturers struggle to obtain high rankings, too. The test simulates a crash of a specific section of the front end of the vehicle—namely, the section in front of the driver and how the safety features perform when the vehicle is crashed into a small obstruction, like a section of a wall or pole, and it impacts just this area of the vehicle.
Part of the challenge for the designers at KIA was deciding how to improve the structure of the Forte in this area of the vehicle. Their hard work paid off with the refreshed design for the 2017 model year with an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating for the Forte.
For KIA, this marks the first time the Forte has received this high of a crash test rating. The first generation only received a Top Safety Pick, and just came up short of the “plus” rating. In addition to making improvements to the vehicle’s structural design, KIA also added in some new and advanced safety features, which further helped it achieve the “plus” rating, including:
- Dynamic Bending Headlights – The headlights automatically adjust to the speed and angle of the vehicle to provide better roadside illumination.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – Provides an audible alert when backing up if an object is approaching the vehicle and outside the viewable range of the backup camera.
- Autonomous Emergency Braking – This safety feature monitors the distance between vehicles in front of the car and applies the brakes automatically if the vehicle slows downs or brakes and the driver does not react fast enough.
- Forward Collision Warning – There is an audible alert if the following distance between vehicles becomes too small and will engage the Autonomous Emergency Braking feature if necessary.
To experience the newly redesigned 2017 Kia Forte and the updated safety features, please feel free to visit your Community Cars’ authorized KIA dealer, Community KIA of Bloomington today, or call us at 888-340-0339!